The Teachers Service Commission, TSC, developed two promotional grades for deputy heads of Primary schools. The two grades are Deputy headteacher II (T- Scale 9) and Deputy head teacher I (T- Scale 10). This is contained in a Career Progression Guidelines Circular of 2018
According to the circular, the Deputy headteacher II (T- Scale 9) is a promotional grade for institutional administrators in primary schools. The Deputy Head Teacher II will report to the Head Teacher. He/she will be required to have knowledge of the development and implementation of the curriculum, education policies, and programs.
While the Deputy headteacher I (T- Scale 10) is a promotional grade for institutional administrators in primary schools. The Deputy Head Teacher I will report to the Head Teacher. He/she will be required to have knowledge of the development and implementation of the curriculum, education policies, and programs.
Deputy Head Teacher II
For appointment to this grade, a teacher must:
- Have served as Senior Teacher I T- Scale 8 for a minimum period of three (3) years
- Have at least a Diploma in Special Needs Education (in the area of specialty indicated)
- Have a satisfactory rating in the performance appraisal
- Have demonstrated the ability to supervise, mentor, and provide professional support to other teachers;
- Meet the requirements of Chapter Six (6) of the Constitution
- Meet any other requirement the Commission may deem necessary.
Candidates who will be successful in the interviews shall be required to present valid Chapter Six documents before they are considered for appointment.
Candidates selected will be required to present the following documents which MUST be valid;
- Letter of appointment to the current grade
- Letter of appointment/deployment to the current responsibility
- Certificate of good conduct from the Directorate of Criminal Investigations
- Clearance certificate by Higher Education Loans Board (HELB)
- Clearance application from Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission
- Clearance certificate from a Credit Reference bureau
- Tax compliance certificate from Kenya Revenue Authority