Teachers Service Commission (TSC) is a Constitutional Commission established under Article 237 of the Constitution. It is mandated to, among other things, appoint and deploy institutional administrators.
In 2018, TSC developed three promotional grades for Deputy principals of Secondary schools. Guidelines on these two grades are contained in a Career Progression Guidelines Circular of 2018
Duties and responsibilities of the school principal
The principal is the lead educator and accounting officer and is responsible for the operational management of the institution.
He/she is also responsible for the development and implementation of education plans, policies, programs, and curriculum activities of the institution.
School principals are responsible for maintaining school infrastructure as well as facilities. They maintain discipline among staff and students of the schools.
They ensure the keeping of statutory, records of the school, adhere strictly to the approved admission and transfer list from the ministry of education, and approve issuances of testimonials and certificates.
They supervise the proper completion of the entry schedule of approved external examinations. School principals also monitor the performance of the deputy principal and maintain a functional and cordial relationship with the school community, the school management committee and old students’ association, and other critical stakeholders.
Requirements for appointment of the school principal
- Have served as Deputy Principal II/Senior Master I T-Scale 12 for a minimum period of three (3) years.
- Be a holder of a Master’s degree in a relevant area.
- Have obtained a satisfactory rating in the performance appraisal process;
- Have successfully undertaken the relevant (TPD) modules.
- Have a valid Teaching Certificate.
- Have demonstrated ability to supervise, mentor, and provide professional support to other teachers.
- Meet the requirements of Chapter six (6) of the Constitution.
- Meet any other requirement deemed necessary by the Commission.
Responsibilities Of Deputy Principal
This is a promotional and an entry grade for Deputy Principals in secondary schools. The Deputy Principal report to the principal. He/she will provide support to the principal of the institution in the development and implementation of education plans, policies, programs, and curriculum activities.
Promotion to this grade will be competitive and subject to the availability of vacancies in the establishment.
Requirements For Appointment
- Have served as Senior Master III T-Scale 10 for a minimum period of three (3) years
- Have obtained a satisfactory rating in the performance appraisal process
- Have successfully undertaken the relevant TPD modules
- Meet the requirements of Chapter six (6) of the Constitution
- Have a Master’s degree in a relevant area
- Have a valid Teaching Certificate
- Meet any other requirement deemed necessary by the Commission
Duties And Responsibilities Of Teachers
To ensure the Preparation of lesson plans, lesson notes, timetables scheme of work, and maintain academic standards in school to ensure that the syllabus is covered in time for valuation.
To ensure the teaching of the subjects of specialization and impart knowledge, skills, and attitude to the learner.
To ensure evaluation of the learners in subjects of specialization and prepare learners for national and other examinations. Introduce new ideas and programs for improvement in teaching and learning in subjects of specialization
To ensure safety and health for learners
To ensure the cleanliness of the school compound and the tidiness of learners
To ensure consistency and improvement in curriculum delivery through teamwork and collaboration planning