The Teachers Service Commission (TSC) has released new guidelines for the recruitment of secondary school teachers on ‘permanent and pensionable terms
Following the advertisement for recruitment of teachers on permanent and pensionable terms, Boards of Management are required to conduct the selection exercise for the advertised vacancies in their institutions.
Applicants will be required to submit their applications to the Secretary Teachers Service Commission online through www.teacheronline.tsc.go.ke for the institution where a vacancy has been declared.
The Selection Panel is required to exercise the highest degree of transparency and accountability, as stipulated in the Public Officers Ethics Act, and TSC Code of Conduct and Ethics (CoCE, 2015).
The TSC County Director or his/her representative will induct the panel members on the relevant sections of the Act and Code of Regulations for Teachers (CORT, 2015) before the commencement of the selection exercise.
The TSC County Director MUST ensure that the recruitment process is done in strict adherence to the laid down protocols by the Ministry of Health on containment of COVID- the 19 pandemics.
TSC County Director MUST ensure that venues for interviews are accessible to applicants with special needs and all applicants MUST be registered teachers as per Section 23 (1) of the Teachers Service Commission Act, 2012. Applicants who are not duly registered shall not be considered for recruitment.
TSC County Directors MUST ensure that Heads of Institutions confirm the online registration status of the applicants to avoid engaging unregistered/deregistered teachers.
Applicants who apply for confirmation of results from KNEC should give the address of the TSC County Director of the County where they applied for the recruitment. It is their responsibility to ensure that the results are received for consideration during the verification of the academic certificates.
Applicants whose names differ in the academic and professional certificates and/or identification cards MUST present a sworn Affidavit to explain the variance in names.
Applicants who re-sat either KCPE or KCSE examinations (or their equivalents) MUST present certified copies of the certificate(s) of the national examination (s) in question for all the attempts. System-generated Merit List will be prepared by the TSC County Director.
TSC County Director shall distribute the Lists to the TSC Sub-County Directors and Heads of Institutions. Heads of Institutions shall use the Merit Lists for the interviews in consultation with the respective TSC Sub-County Directors
Upon invitation for an interview, applicants shall be required to present the originals and clear copies of the following documents: –
- National identification card;
- Certificate of Registration as a teacher;
- Evidence of service as a teacher intern (where applicable);
- Diploma/Degree certificate and official transcripts;
- KCSE certificates or its equivalent (include certificates for attempts if one re-sat exam)
- KCPE certificate or its equivalent (include certificates for attempts if one re-sat exam)
- Primary and Secondary School leaving certificates and other relevant testimonials;
- National Council of Persons with Disability (NCPWD) Card (where applicable);
- Sworn Affidavit where names appearing on the submitted documents differ;
- Proof of payment for the Statement of confirmation of results by KNEC (where applicable);
- The date, venue, and time of the interview will be displayed at the Commission’s County, Sub-County, Zonal and Institutional offices.
- Heads of Institutions will communicate to all shortlisted applicants through SMS (Short Message Service) at least seven (7) days before the actual date of the interview. This MUST be strictly observed to ensure that all applicants are notified of the date, venue, and time of the interview.
- All applicants, irrespective of gender, disability, ethnicity, or Home County shall be given equal opportunities.